Ginger shot recipes are extremely tasty, nutritious, yet simple. If you have not yet tried them, you should definitely give it a shot.
Fresh ginger is a favorite ingredient in many vegetable juice recipes. Fresh ginger has an aromatic, spicy, tangy, fresh, and hot taste, that can be combined with almost any other vegetable and fruit. Ginger is classified as an aromatic bitter herb and belongs to the same family as turmeric and cardamom. And like its cousins, ginger is nutrient dense.
The saying “a ginger shot a day keeps illness away” carries much weight. The main benefit of ginger juice is due to volatile, essential oils and other aromatic compounds contained in the root. Even a small daily ginger shot can bring health benefits.
Ginger shots are beneficial for the digestive tract and support the gut colony of friendly bacteria.
Here’s a list of potential health benefits of fresh ginger collected from studies done on the fresh root.
- Proven superior to lansoprazole used in prescription drugs for preventing ulcers
- Alleviates arthritis more effective than many prescription drugs
- Relieving soreness from exercise (3 grams daily, used in studies)
- Significantly lower inflammation markers in the body
- Protects against environmental chemicals
- Antiviral, antiseptic, antihistamine, anti-inflammatory
- Treats asthma symptoms (increases airflow)
- Enhances fat digestion and absorption
- Protects against respiratory viruses
- Beneficial for the digestive tract
- Inhibits the growth of cancer
- Suppresses H. pylori bacteria
- Improves cognitive functions
- Prevents atherosclerosis
- Reduces bad cholesterol
- Powerful heart medicine
- Controls appetite
- A natural antibiotic
- Much more
To this list we could also add the benefits of fresh, organic lemon juice included in the recipes.
Ginger shot recipes
Organic ingredients are best. We think organic ginger have a fuller, more intense taste than regular ginger. Many nutrients are contained in the peel, so don’t peel organic ginger root, just rinse it well. Organic lemons are great in shots. Try juicing lemons with the peel for a zestier shot.
Of these three recipes, the Ginger Apple Shot is the mildest.
1. Ginger Lemon Shot
- 1 lemon (or 2 lime fruits)
- A chunk of ginger (1 inch)
- (optional) A few drops of Stevia
This shot really wakes you up! Very low on carbs and sugar. Great shot before breakfast as it awakens the stomach fluids. But it can be taken anytime during the day. May drink this shot to cleanse, detoxify and boost metabolism. Some people report that this shot helps alleviate some digestive problems. Leave the lemon rind on for a more zesty and bitter shot. Juice the ginger first then the lemon as the lemon washes out the ginger left in the juicer.
2. Ginger Cherry Shot
- 1 small piece of fresh ginger
- 1 cup, or about 10-12 cherries
Juice the pitted cherries, then the ginger. The cherry ginger combination has a superb taste and a beautiful color.
3. Ginger Apple Shot
Our favorite recipe! This recipe basically just adds an apple to the Ginger Lemon recipe above. This makes one big shot or two small.
- 1 green apple (Granny Smith or similar)
- 1 large organic lemon with peel (or two small)
- A chunk of ginger, as much as you can take
If you use organic lemons and ginger, juice the peel also. If non organic, you might want to remove the peel. Juice the ginger first, then the rest. This is a great shot!
Creating your own recipes
Try mixing ginger with other ingredients to create your own blend. Ginger goes well with most veggies so it’s hard to fail. However, lemon, lime, and grapefruit greatly enhances the flavor.
Try ginger recipes with…
- Beetroot (improves sports performance)
- Turmeric root (potent; use very little)
- Butternut squash (sweet, creamy)
- Kale (a vitamin injection)
There are not many drinks that can compete with the intense taste and numerous benefits of ginger shot recipes. And you never seem to get tired of them.
Reference: Ginger root benefits