Ginger shot recipes are extremely tasty, nutritious, yet simple. If you have not yet tried them, you should definitely give it a shot.
Fresh ginger is a favourite ingredient in many vegetable juice recipes. Fresh ginger has an aromatic, spicy, tangy, fresh and hot taste, and it can be combined with almost any other vegetable and fruit. Ginger is classified as an aromatic bitter herb and belongs to the same family as turmeric and cardamom. And like its cousins, ginger is very nutrient dense.
The saying “a ginger shot a day keeps illness away” carries much weight. The main benefits of ginger juice are because of several volatile, essential oils and many other aromatic compounds contained in the root. Even a small daily ginger shot can bring many health benefits.
Ginger shots have proven beneficial for the digestive tract and support the gut colony of friendly bacteria. If you crave a warm drink with similar health benefits, try the Turmeric Ginger Latte.
Some potential health benefits of fresh ginger collected from different studies done on the fresh root.
- Proven superior to lansoprazole used in prescription drugs for preventing ulcers
- Alleviates arthritis symptoms more effective than many prescription drugs
- Relieving soreness from exercise (3 grams daily, used in studies)
- Significantly lower inflammation markers in the body
- Protects against toxic effects of environmental chemicals
- Antiviral, antiseptic, antihistamine and anti-inflammatory
- Treats asthma symptoms (promotes increased airflow)
- Enhances fat digestion and absorption
- Protects against respiratory viruses
- Beneficial for the digestive tract
- Inhibits the growth of cancer
- Suppresses H. pylori bacteria
- Improves cognitive functions
- Prevents atherosclerosis
- Reduces bad cholesterol
- Powerful heart medicine
- Controls appetite
- A natural antibiotic
- Much more
To this list we could also add the many benefits of fresh, organic lemon juice included in these recipes.
Ginger shot recipes
Use organic ingredients if possible as they often taste better and contain fewer pesticides. We have found organic ginger to have a fuller, more intense taste than regular ginger. Many nutrients are contained in the peel, so don’t peel organic ginger root, just rinse it well. Organic lemons also taste great in shots. Try juicing lemons with the peel for a zestier shot.
If you’ve not tried ginger shots before, you might want to try the Ginger Apple Shot first as it’s a little milder.
1. Ginger Lemon Shot
- 1 lemon (or 2 lime fruits)
- A chunk of ginger (1 inch)
- (optional) A few drops of Stevia
This shot really wakes you up! Very low on carbs and sugar. Great shot before breakfast as it awakens the stomach fluids. But it can be taken anytime during the day. May drink this shot to cleanse, detoxify and boost metabolism. Some people report that this shot helps alleviate some digestive problems. Leave the lemon rind on for a more zesty and bitter shot. Juice the ginger first then the lemon as the lemon washes out the ginger left in the juicer.
2. Ginger Cherry Shot
- 1 small piece of fresh ginger
- 1 cup, or about 10-12 cherries
Juice the pitted cherries, then the ginger. The cherry ginger combination has a superb taste and a beautiful color.
3. Ginger Apple Shot
Our favourite recipe! This ginger shot basically just adds an apple to the Ginger Lemon recipe above. This recipe makes one big shot or two smaller.
- 1 green apple (Granny Smith or similar)
- 1 large organic lemon with peel (or two small)
- A chunk of ginger, as much as you can take
If you use organic lemons and ginger, then juice the peel also. If non organic, you might want to peel both. Juice the ginger first, then the rest. This is a great shot!
Create your own recipes
The ginger shots recipes mentioned above are our favorites. However, try mixing ginger with other vegetables and fruit to create your own blend. Ginger goes well with most veggies so don’t be afraid to experiment. However, adding lemon, lime, grapefruit, or quince greatly enhances the flavor.
Try creating recipes with…
- Beetroot (used for improved sports performance)
- Turmeric root (very potent; use very little)
- Butternut squash (sweet, creamy)
- Kale (a real vitamin injection)
There are not many drinks that can compete with the intense taste and numerous benefits of these ginger shot recipes. And you never seem to get tired of them.
Reference: Ginger root benefits