Now Foods Probiotic-10 is a popular probiotic supplement and a best seller on Amazon.com. Now Foods is a large, well-established and family-owned brand that started in 1968. They offer a wide range of natural products including vitamins, minerals, herbs, natural foods and natural personal care products.
Now Foods Probiotic-10 has been around for quite a while and has received good reviews for its purity, safety, and great value. Let’s check these claims.
Now Foods Probiotic-10 features
You can often get a good feel of the quality of a supplement only by reviewing its main features. This short overview reveals a high-quality, well-prepared an effective probiotic formula free of allergens and other harmful substances. Purity is essential for any supplement.
- The number “10” on the label refers to 10 probiotic bacteria strains included. All strains are well-researched, safe and highly beneficial in combination.
- Now Foods Probiotic-10 is available in several strengths—25, 50 and 100 billion CFU. They all contain the same 10 bacteria strains, but only in different amounts.
- The bacteria are from three different types, Lactobacillus (L), Bifido (B) and Strepto. (see list below). This is good as diversity is much more beneficial for the gut that hosts more than 500 types of microorganisms.
- Now Foods says the bacteria are acid-resistant, however, I’m not sure what this means exactly. Without protection, probiotic bacteria consumed tend to get damaged by the harsh environment in the stomach. However, Now Foods might have found a way to make the bacteria more resistant instead of using enteric-coated capsules for protection. In any case, protection is a very good thing. Dead bacteria also have health benefits, but live and active bacteria are much more powerful.
- A clear “best by” date stamped on the bottle. It’s a good habit to refrigerate probiotic supplements as it helps keep bacteria fresh longer. Avoid keeping probiotic supplements in your kitchen or bathroom which are warm and moist and can shorten the shelf life of many supplements.
- In the past I’ve complained about the small bottles containing only 50 capsules, which is much too little. However, Now Foods just changed this so you now can get bigger bottles which is much more practical.
- It’s not manufactured with wheat, gluten, soy, milk, egg, fish, shellfish or tree nut ingredients
- The supplement comes with a quality GMP assurance
- Is a certified Kosher supplement
- Is suitable for vegetarians
In 2013, Now Foods Probiotic-10 received a Best of Supplement award in Better Nutrition’s Probiotics category. Every year the magazine Better Nutrition asks their readers and industry experts to rate products across 16 categories.
Many sufferers of autoimmune diseases, candida or infections have found that Now Foods Probiotic-10 can bring relief. This shows the bacteria are live and active. Often a slight improvement in a condition might be noticed quickly. However, long-time use is needed for most chronic health problems. If you are not sure, please consult with your health practitioner.
Independent lab tests (by Labdoor) reveal that Now Foods Probiotic is indeed pure and has a solid nutritional value. Now Foods Probiotic has the hallmark of an effective probiotic supplement. However, it seem that the the amount of viable bacteria is not stable—some batches contain more bacteria, others less than stated on the label. But this is something seen with many other brands as well, so it’s not uncommon. But it’s not good either.
Now Foods have employed an impressive army of experts—biochemists, microbiologists, nutritionists, food technologists, and product formulators. All their lab chemists have scientific degrees. All this means that they’re serious about quality.
What about cost? (June 2018)
Now Foods Probiotic-10, 25, Billion. Check price. Two bottles (100 capsules) cost about $25. For most people with no chronic health problems, this will keep the digestive tract in shape. Mild symptoms with constipation, gas, bloating can be eased. If you’re just starting out with probiotics, then this is a good start.
Now Foods Probiotic-10, 50 Billion. Check price. One bottle with 50 capsules costs $25.00. For some people more bacteria is better as it will enhance the beneficial effects. Your goals and health condition should govern how much bacteria you need. It’s hard to evaluate a supplement after just a few days, so you need to use it for a months or tow to reveal the long-term benefits.
Now Foods Probiotic-10, 100 Billion. Check price. One bottle with 30 caps is $23. More bacteria means a stronger effect. Now things can really start to happen in the gut, especially in case of a chronic condition. Great to bring on trips where you need a good stomach protection. Also good to take when on antibiotics to compensate for the loss of gut bacteria.
Excellent, good value probiotic supplement!
Now Foods Probiotic-10 is a well-composed, high-quality supplement. Manufacturing principles are high, their homepage is informative and helpful. Many satisfied customers add to the trust of this brand. All of this combined with a very appealing price tag makes well worth a try. It’s not surprising that this has become a best seller on Amazon.com and elsewhere. When it comes to purity, safety, and quality you will not be wasting your money with this one. The only minus I have found is that some batches contain less viable bacteria than stated on the label. But I only assume they are working on correcting this.
NOW Foods Probiotic-10 bacteria strains:
- L. acidophilus
- L plantarum
- L. rhamnosus
- L. paracasei
- L. salivarius
- L. casei
- B. lactis
- B. breve
- B. longum
- Strepto. thermophiles