Now Foods Betaine HCI is another good supplement produced by this company. I’ve tested many betaine supplements and most work pretty well. Now Foods Betaine combines betaine with the enzyme pepsin which seems to be a good combination and works well for mild digestive issues including acid reflux.
Here is a brief overview:
Enough stomach acid essential
The idea behind taking betaine is that a lack of stomach acid causes indigestion. Stomach acid triggers the production of pancreatic juices, hormones, and bile which activates digestive enzymes. This process is essential for the breaking down of food and assimilation of nutrients. Stomach acid also helps eliminate harmful gut microorganisms. Therefore, in case of a low production of stomach acid there can be many problems.
Low levels of stomach acid can cause a mix of food collects to remain in the stomach for too long. When this undigested food (often including gluten) is released into the intestines, it can putrefy and create good conditions for gut inflammation. However, for many it turns out surprisingly simple to resolve—below are three simple tips.
- Eating slowly and chewing food properly gives the body time to get the digestion machinery started. You’ll be surprised how many digestive issues can be resolved only by doing this.
- Add extra acid in the form of betaine HCI.Betaine HCl in Healthy Volunteers (nih.gov)
- Digestive enzymes and probiotics may also help.
Now Foods Betaine features
- Betaine HCI (hydrochloride) 648 mg. Betaine is a strong digestive aid for the breaking down of proteins and fats in the stomach.
- Pepsin 150 mg. A powerful enzyme that helps break down proteins in meats, eggs, and dairy products. Works well in synergy with betaine.
- This supplement contains no sugar, salt, starch, yeast, wheat, gluten, corn, soy, milk, egg, shellfish or preservatives.
- Do not take betaine in case of stomach ulcers.
- GMP quality assured.
- Certified Kosher.
Clean Eating Magazine awarded Now Foods Betaine HCI the Clean Choice award in the supplement category.
Now Foods Betaine is simple but effective. Many satisfied customers report good results from using it. It seems Now Foods Betaine works very well for most people with mild digestive problems. It has an immediate effect when taken with meals. It’s a low-cost supplement, around $15 for 120 capsules.Betaine HCl in Healthy Volunteers with Hypochlorhydria | Molecular Pharmaceutics (acs.org)
Betaine, digestive enzymes, and probiotics can be very effective. However, wise diet choices, controlling tress, and eating slowly are other effective tools free of charge and may lessen the needs for supplements.
It’s recommended to start with one capsule just before each meal. Some people might need two capsules before a large or heavy meal. Do not take the capsule on an empty stomach if you’re not eating right away.
Betaine may lessen the following symptoms when caused by too little stomach acid.
- A feeling of being too full long after meals
- Gas, bloating after meals
- Skin problems
- Acid reflux
- Poor nails
Acid reflux: Undigested food remaining in the stomach can cause many problems. Adding betaine with main meals is a simple way to improve digestion. However, similar problems can also occur in case of too little digestive enzymes. So if betaine does not help, it might be because a lack of enzymes.