Now Foods Betaine HCI is another good supplement produced by this company. I’ve reviewed other supplements containing betaine, but Now Foods Betaine seems more effective for a number of digestive issues, including too little stomach acid which can cause many digestive problems.
Enough stomach acid essential
If there is a lack of stomach acid, digestion of food will suffer. Stomach acid triggers the production of pancreatic juices, hormones and bile. This process activates powerful digestive enzymes that break down food so the body can assimilate all the nutrients. Stomach acid also helps eliminate harmful microorganisms in the gut. Therefore, in case of a low production of stomach acid, there will be many digestive problems.
It can cause a mix of food collects to remain in the stomach for too long. Without enough acid, the food cannot be properly digested. When this half-rotten and undigested food (often including gluten) is released into the intestines, it can putrefy and create perfect conditions for gut inflammation. Studies show that this condition can lead to serious infections and even cancer. However, it turns out to be surprisingly simple to resolve.
- Eating slowly and chewing food properly gives the body time to prepare for good digestion. This can ease many gut problems.
- But in some cases, extra acid is needed in the form of betaine HCI. Some also feel better if they also add digestive enzymes.
Now Foods Betaine features
- Betaine HCI (hydrochloride) 648 mg. Betaine is a strong digestive aid. It supports the breaking down of proteins and fats in the stomach and also for absorbing food and assimilating nutrients.
- Pepsin 150 mg. A powerful enzyme that helps break down proteins in meats, eggs, dairy products. Works in synergy with betaine.
- This supplement contains no sugar, salt, starch, yeast, wheat, gluten, corn, soy, milk, egg, shellfish or preservatives.
- Do not take betaine in case of stomach ulcers.
- GMP quality assured.
- Certified Kosher.
Now Foods Betaine is an award-winning supplement. Clean Eating Magazine awarded Now Foods Betaine HCI the Clean Choice award in the supplement category.
Now Foods Betaine is a simple but very effective, high-quality product. Many satisfied customers report good results from using it. Indeed, Now Foods Betaine works very well for most people with normal symptoms. It has an immediate effect when taken with meals. It’s a very low-cost supplement, $12 for 120 capsules (May 2018).
I’ve used to have digestive problems like acid reflux and bloating for years. I started using betaine together with digestive enzymes and it brought immediate relief. Amazing that it could be that simple! Combining betaine with digestive enzymes is very effective to alleviate many digestive problems.
What are the benefits?
It’s recommended to start with one capsule just before each meal. Some people might need two capsules with a large or heavy meal. Do not take the capsule on an empty stomach if you’re not eating right away.
Symptoms of too little stomach acid
Betaine has the potential to lessen most of the following symptoms if they are caused by too little stomach acid.
- The unpleasant feeling of being too full long after meals
- Gas, bloating after meals
- Skin problems
- Poor nails
Acid reflux: This is often caused by too little stomach acid. Undigested food remaining in the stomach can cause many problems. Therefore, adding betaine with the main meals is an easy and inexpensive way to alleviate symptoms and improve digestion. However, similar problems can occur in case of too little digestive enzymes. Therefore, if betaine supplementation does not help, it might be because a lack of enzymes is causing the problem.
Assimilation of nutrients: The body produces less stomach acid around age 30-40. Adding betaine HCI can greatly improve assimilation of vitamins, minerals and other essential nutrients.
Food sensitivity: An improved digestion can alleviate sensitivity to gluten and dairy products. This can also have a positive effect on food sensitivity. Now Foods Betaine can be a simple and cost-effective way to quickly feel much better.