Mercola Full Spectrum Enzymes for Women is one of the best digestive enzyme supplement I’ve ever reviewed. It is a complete, up-to-date formula designed and tweaked exclusively for female needs.
A major upgrade
Mercola Enzymes for Women seems to be an adjusted version of the standard enzyme supplement—Mercola Full Spectrum Enzymes. The tweaks are with regard to how women eat compared to men. Women normally eat less than men, also less protein, but more vegetables, and this is reflected in the formula.
Several years ago I reviewed several previous versions of Mercola Full Spectrum Enzymes; they were all good-quality supplements. However, this new formula for women is not just an improved version, it’s a completely new approach with six new digestive enzyme supplements, each covering specific needs.
This review is only about Mercola Full Spectrum Enzymes for Women. But I have also written reviews on other supplements in this series.
- Mercola Full Spectrum Enzymes—standard enzyme supplement
- Mercola Gluten Enzymes—for a rapid digestion of gluten
- Mercola Ketozyme—for those on a keto, low-carb diet
Mercola Full Spectrum Enzymes for Women
Here is a summary of the main features. At the end of the post, you can find a more detailed description of the enzymes.
- According to USDA data, 21 century women eat less than men, also less protein, but more fruit and vegetables.
- The supplement aims to compensate for the fact that many consume processed food that are low in natural enzymes. In addition, research show many women often lack digestive enzymes causing digestive problems.
- It contains 22 enzymes derived from plants, bacteria and fungus. The enzymes are composed to work in different parts of the gut containing different levels of acidity. This new supplement contains twice as many enzymes as the old ones. So it is a major upgrade.
- Dr Mercola included high levels of enzymes. Therefore, for most women one capsule will be more than enough, even after a heavy meal.
- It includes the almighty ATP (Adenosine triphosphate), also called the “energy currency of life.” It is a vital molecule that stores energy for all living cells. ATP is present in raw food (not processed) and has a key role in initiating digestion.
- The supplement is designed to quickly break down carbs, fat, and proteins to avoid bloating, gas, and indigestion.
- It’s all vegan and does not contain anything derived from animal sources. It’s also gluten and soy free, and non-GMO.
- Dr Mercola offers plenty of information about enzymes, manufacturing principles, research, and lab tests about his supplements. This builds trust as you know what you pay for.
Good for vegetarians and vegans
Because Mercola Full Spectrum Enzymes for Women is designed for those who consume more vegetables and less protein, it works well for vegetarians and vegans, no matter if you’re a man or woman. It contains higher levels of plant digesting enzymes, which is great for both men and women who consume more vegetables.
What about cost?
A bottle with 90 caps is around $30. This is a bit more expensive than other brands. But if it is enough with one capsule per day for the main meal, then one bottle lasts for three months. Believe me, good digestion is worth a lot!
With many other digestive supplements you need two or more capsules to notice an improvement.
How to take
The recommended dose is one capsule with the main meal. For most this is more than enough, even for a heavy meal. Some take the enzymes some 15 minutes before the meal, others feel it’s better to take it during the meal. In any case, try not to take enzymes too late in the evening as it can disturb sleep.
Mercola Enzymes for Women is unique and among the best I’ve reviewed. If you’re a woman or a vegetarian that needs digestive support, then this supplement will most likely work well.
List of enzymes
Enzymes keep the digestive tract in shape. This lists enzymes included in Mercola Full Spectrum Enzymes for Women. It gives an idea about what enzymes do.
|Proteases||Digest proteins.||Immune system, blood circulation.|
|Cellulase I, II||Break down cellulose into smaller parts as glucose; free up nutrients.||Detoxify gut, support cell membranes, blood sugar, cholesterol.|
|Lipase I, II||Break down fat (triglycerides), promote fat usage, support gallbladder.||Used for celiac, cystic fibrosis, heartburn, Crohn’s.|
|Bromelain (pineapple)||Powerful enzyme For complete digestion of proteins.||Inflammation, pain, urinary infections, arthritis.|
|Papain (papaya)||For complete digestion of proteins.||Pain, swelling, inflammation.|
|Beta-Glucanase||Breaks down polysaccharides in grains.||Candida, digestive issues.|
|Glucoamylase||Converts starch into glucose for energy.||IBS, gas, nausea, heartburn, autoimmune responses.|
|Amylase||Breaks down carbohydrates as starch and glycogen.||swelling, rejuvenation.|
|Diastase||Degrades maltose to glucose, digest starch.||Pancreas.|
|Lactase||Breaks down lactose (milk sugar) into glucose and galactose.||IBS, gut irritation, heartburn, ulcers.|
|Pectinase (apples, bananas)||Breaks down carbohydrates in fruits and vegetables.||Gut protection, entire body.|
|Xylanase||Breaks down wheat, oats and barley. Reduces gas, bloating.||Availability of nutrients.|
|Alpha Galactosidase||Helps digest gas-promoting carbs in legumes, beans, fibrous vegetables.||Indigestion, discomfort.|
|Peptidase||Releases amino acids from proteins and polypeptides.||Inflammations, anxiety, insomnia.|
|Phytase||Supports mineral absorption; breaks down phytic acid,.||Detox, bone health.|
|Hemicellulase||Digests soluble fibers in plant cell walls; releases nutrients bound in fruits and vegetables.||Candida, digestion, more energy.|
|Invertase||Splits sucrose into glucose and fructose.||Immune booster, ulcers, respiratory problems.|
|ATP||Initiates digestive processes, like a jump-start.||Energy, fueling cells; essential.|