Earth’s Living bentonite clay is a widely used healing clay. It is used in cleansing clay baths, face masks and even drinking it for a thorough detox. Many clay users claim that the best clay is the calcium green bentonite clay from the Mojave desert in California. This review is mainly about this particular clay prepared and sold by Earth’s Living Clay.
My interest in healing clays was raised since reading claims that clay helps heal the gut and promote the growth of beneficial bacteria in the digestive tract.
About Earth’s Living Clay
Earth’s Living Clay is a small company supporting sustainability, fair trade and integrity. They offer a selection of green calcium bentonite clay powder for drinking, baths, face masks and even clay for pets.
Earth’s Living bentonite green clay originates from Death Valley, California, where it is sun- dried for up to six months. Earth’s Living drinking clay is mined to a finer 325 screen mesh. The finer the mesh the better the milling process. Fine clay powder boosts the effect and makes it easier to mix with water. The bentonite bath powder is 30% cheaper than drinking powder because it requires less processing and contains a bit less silica dioxide. Otherwise, the contents seem to be the same.
Evaluation of Earth’s Living Clay products
I found the following points that all contribute to trust Earth’s Living Clay products and business practices:
- Earth’s Living Clay offers independent laboratory mineral and microbial analysis on the clay sold on this website. This guarantees a high-quality product without contaminants. The mineral analysis lists the many natural elements in a given clay sample. The microbial analysis ensures the clay is free of contaminants such as E. coli, salmonella, yeast and mold. Independent test certificates promote trust.
- The company offers a wide array of information on the different uses of clay. There are educational video materials, articles and posts clarifying many questions about the use of clay.
- The website contains a surprising number of testimonials from satisfied customers that are using Earth’s Living bentonite clays regularly, some even on a daily basis. These are not people who receive free clay samples and are asked to write something nice about the product. No, these are paying customers who use bentonite clay for different ailments and are happy with the result.
- The staff is very friendly and quickly responded to my requests.
Living bentonite clay features
For comparison, we tested a number of different clays from other companies. We tried a few different sodium bentonite clays and a Green French clay. They were all fine to use in baths and great for the skin. However, Earth’s Living bentonite Clay did have some exceptional properties.
Here are a few:
- It’s a very fine powder compared to many other clays that are coarser. Both the bath and drinking powder was much easier to mix with water than other clays. Just shake it a little in a plastic bottle and you’re done. Some other clays were very hard to dissolve in water. However, making face masks were easy with all clays.
- Earth’s Living clay was easier than other clays to drink, much due to the fine powder that makes it fairly smooth and creamy. However, it still has a dirty taste! But it’s not that bad. After a few drinks, you get used to it. We just gulped down; one drink in the morning and one in the evening.
- The effect on the digestive tract was immediate. The bentonite clay seems to stabilize the gut, especially in the case of diarrhea. The effect does depend on your specific needs and also how much clay you consume. However, consuming more for a stronger effect might not be the best. The clay seems to promote a cleansing process even in small amounts. In some cases, this process accelerates with the amount you drink. But this should be done together with a specialist. Therefore, start off slow! We tried one, two and three clay drinks per day coupled with vegetable juicing. This resulted in a well-functioning digestive tract after just a few days.
- Preparing a paste for the skin is very simple. Since Earth’s Living Clays are all a very fine powder it is also gentle on the skin. The skin turns really smooth and pleasant.
Excellent healing clay! In fact, we were surprised how effective it is both for the digestive tract and the skin. And it is very simple to use. The green calcium bentonite clay from Earth’s Living Clay is definitely a top healing clay.
The cost for a one pound bag is $16.95. It depends on how you plan to use the clay how long it will last. To make face masks, it will last much longer than if you plan to use the clay in baths.
Bentonite clay and gut health
The main goal of this review is to ascertain the effect on the digestive tract. Does calcium bentonite clay promote the function of the gut?
Yes, it seems to have a strong effect.
When bentonite clay is mixed with water rated it carries a negative electrical charge. But toxins, bacteria, virus and other harmful substances mostly carry a positive charge. Therefore, hydrated bentonite clay will like a magnet attract and bond with positively charged harmful substances that get absorbed by the clay and safely removed from the body in the stool. This is the explanation why bentonite clay can solve so many different issues in the digestive tract.
Potential gut benefits:
- Removal of chemicals, metals and other toxins
- Cleansing the colon
- Effective for diarrhea, Candida
- Promotes regular bowel movement
- Promoting growth of beneficial gut bacteria
- Stimulating and detoxifying the liver
- Reducing food sensitivity, intolerance
- Alleviating skin disorders as eczema and psoriasis (which are often connected with the gut)
- Excellent for heartburn, acid reflux and IBS
Your body uses the gut as the main exit for many waste products. Therefore, drinking clay water effectively cleanses the colon by pulling out plaque and other substances that can prevent absorption of vitamins, minerals, and other nutrients. Once in your stomach, the clay will not absorb nutrients, vitamins or minerals from foods you eat. And the clay will not absorb the beneficial bacteria in the gut.
How to prepare clay drinks:
Use the 1:8 ratio. 1 part clay powder and 8 parts filtered water or spring water.
- 1-2 tablespoons clay powder
- Mix the drink in a glass or plastic bottle; avoid metal as it can ruin the clay’s unique properties
- Drink bentonite clay on an empty stomach, at least one hour before or after meals or taking medication
- Take a bentonite clay drink morning and evening
- Drink water throughout the day, adding lemon increases benefits
Well, it’s actually not too bad. The calcium bentonite we tried was a bit oily, almost creamy in the mouth. Of all clays we tried, Earth’s Living Clay was the easiest to drink. In any case, we just gulped it down without thinking so much about the taste. The effect is indeed pleasant and noticeable.