Probiotics for colds and flu has proven very effective, even better that most over-the-counter medicine. In the colds and flu season, probiotics can help you to avoid getting sick. Or, if you do get sick, probiotic bacteria can shorten the duration and lessen symptoms or colds and flu.
- Studies show that consuming a fermented dairy product containing Lactobacillus casei daily could reduce the risk of common infections in stressed individuals such as shift workers.
- Much research is done on the mechanisms and effects of probiotics and prebiotics; it shows that their impact reaches beyond the intestine. Probiotics influence the immune system and therefore reduce the severity of colds or other respiratory conditions, impact on allergy incidence and symptoms.
People who consume probiotics have fewer colds, don’t need antibiotics, enjoy better overall health.
Consuming probiotics for colds and flu may be one of the most powerful yet simple strategies to prevent sickness.
Probiotics for cold and flu effective
This is because natural, beneficial bacteria can really power up your immune system. Did you know that your stomach controls most of your immune system? Around 80% of your immune system is dependent on the health or your gut. It, therefore, makes perfect sense that probiotics would be very effective at warding off cold and flu viruses.
- The best way to improve your gut microflora is to consume probiotics daily; consuming fermented vegetables, yogurt or taking a high-quality supplement.
- Try to avoid sugar because sugar will feed the bad bacteria in your stomach and can weaken your immune system
- Processed foods and most grains should also be limited; replace it with healthy fats like coconut oil, avocados, olives, olive oil, butter, eggs, and nuts, choose organic foods if you can
Consuming probiotics and fermented foods can radically optimize the function of the immune system.
- Natural bacteria boost the immune system, drastically reduce the risk of colds and flu.
Keep in mind that a strong immune system is your main defense against ALL disease, not only colds and flu. And again, to keep your immune system in top shape the gut bacteria must be cared for.
Probiotics effective for children
Probiotics for colds and flu are especially effective for children. In fact, the mother’s breast milk is extremely nutritious and contains several hundred different strains of beneficial bacteria. These bacteria are involved in developing the baby’s gut and immune system.
In one study 3-5-year-old children were divided into two groups: one group consumed a single bacteria strain, the second group a combination of probiotic bacteria. Both groups took this twice a day during six months. The result?
- Fever was reduced by 53% for the first group, 73% for the second
- Coughing decreased by 41% for the first group, 62% for the second
- Runny noses were reduced by 28% for the first group, 59% for the second.
- Use of antibiotics decreased by 68% for the first group, 84% for the second. This is indeed a major improvement in itself since antibiotics are greatly overused in children. Antibiotics also destroy your gut flora.
Children that consume probiotics don’t antibiotics and fewer sick days from school.
I’ve worked for a long time in Eastern Europe and I’ve seen how many families consume fermented foods like sauerkraut, kefir, and fermented vegetables on a daily basis. Many people consume fermented food with every meal. This can have a profound effect on the health of children.
Some studies show that on the average, children in some Eastern European countries show a lower rate of allergies and other health problems than children in western cultures that don’t consume probiotic foods. This is most likely due to the effect beneficial bacteria has on the immune system.
Consume fermented foods
Probiotics for colds and flu is one thing. But consuming fermented vegetables, yogurt, and other fermented foods is a cornerstone for controlling many chronic diseases. If you ferment vegetables using a high-quality culture starter, you will have a product containing trillions of probiotic bacteria. This means that one serving of fermented vegetables is equal to an entire bottle of a high potency probiotic supplement!
- For a quick start, get a powerful probiotic supplement. This gets you going fast in the right direction. There are also good-tasting probiotic supplements designed especially for children.
- Learn to make fermented vegetables, yogurt or kefir at home. This is a simple, yet very effective strategy to keep your whole family at optimal health.
Probiotics for colds and flu work best if you consume fermented foods or a probiotic supplement on a daily basis. This will support your immune system to keep unwanted virus and bacteria in check. In the cold and flu season, you can increase your dose of or consume more fermented foods, ideally several times a day.