Mercola Ketoenzyme is designed for those on a high-fat diet like keto, paleo, LCHF and similar. It is not uncommon for people on a high-fat diet to feel heavy after eating the main meal of the day. The Mercola Ketoenzyme promotes a rapid fat digestion which can resolve digestive issues.
Heavy feeling after eating?
- Many over age 30 have an impaired ability to produce enough enzymes for digesting and absorbing fat (sometimes also protein and carbs). Therefore, a high-fat diet can make the gut feel heavy and uncomfortable.
- Ideally, a healthy gut should absorb some 95% of the fat consumed. But if absorption falls by 5-10%m below this, it can cause a heavy feeling, acid reflux, constipation, pain, a feeling that food remains undigested too long in the stomach.
- Having only one main meal per day (as intermittent fasting) can be heavy for the digestive system even if the gut is working properly.
- Those who are switching from a high-carb diet to a keto diet often experience symptoms of indigestion until the gut adjusts to the new high-fat intake.
NOTE: Not digesting fat properly decreases keto diet benefits
Adding enzymes can increase digestion and lessens the uncomfortable feeling after a meal. Let’s look at how it works.
Mercola Ketoenzyme features
- Betaine Hydrochloride (HCl) increases stomach acid for a rapid and complete digestion of proteins and fats. Too little stomach acid often cause acid reflux, indigestion, gas, and bloating.
- Lipases (a blend of 3 different kinds) are enzymes that support the gallbladder which must work well to digest fat. Lipases also break down triglycerides and promote the body’s usage of vitamins and minerals. In short: Lipases streamline the fat digestion process.
- Dandelion root extract contains kynurenic acid (an amino acid) which promotes the production of bile from the liver through the gallbladder. This promotes fat digestion.
- Globe artichoke leaf extract (Cynara scolymus) supports the liver, gallbladder, bile flow, and the digestion and absorption of fat.
- Adenosine triphosphate (ATP) is a powerful molecule that signals the body to start the digestion process. ATP supports the intestine. In addition, ATP is an energy carrier essential for all cells in the body.
What about cost?
A bottle with 30 capsules is $17. If you take this only once a day with the main, high-fat meal, then a bottle lasts for a month. The low price makes it a good companion to a full spectrum enzyme supplement. Those two together can resolve many digestive problems (see below).
Mercola Ketoenzyme works well and ingredients are of high quality! It’s effective when on a keto diet and makes digesting high-fat meals easier.
What if it doesn’t solve the problem?
But what if this does not solve all digestive problems? As a reminder: learn to eat slowly, and chew the food well. This is especially important when having only one large meal per day. It’s amazing how many gut problems can be solved just by eating slowly. And it’s free! Chewing thoroughly gives the body enough time to produce stomach acid, enzymes needed for a good digestion.
However, for additional digestive support here are a few suggestions.
Adding other enzymes
Many people on a high-fat diet consume between 50-80% of daily calories from fat. Olive oil, coconut oil, butter, and ghee are healthy and popular alternatives. For such fats the Mercola Ketoenzyme works well. But in some cases, it might not solve all digestive problems.
Consider the following suggestions:
- If you are a vegetarian, vegan, or only occasionally consume meat or sea-food, then it might be enough with Ketoenzyme. Others might try to add a Full Spectrum Enzymes for Women (and vegetarians). This combination might work best if you don’t eat too much protein.
- If you consume more protein (red meat, poultry etc.), a better combination is to take Mercola Ketoenzyme with a full spectrum enzyme designed for protein.
- Try adding fresh low-carb vegetable juice daily. The juice is packed with enzymes and supporting the digestive system. Lemons, apples, and ginger are great. But other vegetables also improve digestion. Try the popular ginger shot.
Mercola Ketoenzyme will in most cases increase the speed of fat digestion and lessen digestive problems.
Reference: Body Ecology